Jaded Lens

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Lotto Fever... Catch It! (and more...)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I feel like the Charlie Bucket of lottery players today. My friends keep calling and saying things like, "How many Powerball tickets did you buy? I bought $30 worth." Call me old school, but I'm just going to buy 3. Charlie Bucket won his golden ticket with his third Wonka Bar at much higher odds so I won't tempt fate and pull a Veruca. Hopefully, the lines at the convenience store down the street won't be too long when I get off of work. For the record, this is the 2nd time I've played the lottery, not counting my mom's Christmas stocking gift of five scratch off tickets per year.

Mark Jenkins is an amazing street installment artist. I've been scanning his website all morning. For those of you in DC, he's the guy behind those statues of tape men and babies around town. I saw his Tresmaria installment on 16th St. a few months ago and have been waiting to hear an explanation for months. He has a really great website with pictures, articles and even a tutorial on how to make your own tape sculptures. (I'm going to try it out this weekend with my red buddha statue.) Make sure you see his article from the Washington Post about the tape men attacking the Post's art critic. Here's my favorite of his Storker pictures:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The funniest Saturday Night Live skit of all time is the "Gerald Ford Dead Today" pre-taped memorial skit. Here's the transcript:
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/96/96dbrokaw.phtml
"You will be if you break the Gerald Ford story!"

3 Comments:

  • The tape sculptures are awesome. I'd love to do something like that to leave all over Danville. I love that concept.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:14 PM  

  • Jenkins does seem pretty wild. No better weapon than the mind.

    Here are some of the book listings from my literature class.

    Later man.:)

    By Blogger Beo, at 10:46 AM  

  • Is this one of the infamous red buddhas? Mine needs some repainting, but I guess that would compromise its artistic integrity... :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home