Jaded Lens

Friday, October 07, 2005

Gloom

We went so long without rain here in DC that I've forgotten what it's like to be gloomy on a rainy day. I must be solar powered. Days like today are near impossible for me. The root canal stole all of my money and cancelled my trip to my hometown, but I did learn something new about baseball. My jaw hurts like hell and I can't eat my bagels for breakfast anymore. I've already referred to myself as "The Loneliest Boy in the Whole World" twice this morning, forgotten to pack a Portishead CD to combat the gloom, and offended a Congressional staffer.

Here's that conversation:
Me: Hey, I'm Rolfe from the NLD. I just need to update my staff roster for your office.
Her: Oooo-k. I'm going to transfer you to our Deputy Chief of Staff who will help you with that.
Me: *sigh* Ok, whatever.
Her: Is that alright with you?
Me: Well, not really because all you're going to do is send me to her voicemail, I'll leave one, and then she'll never call me back, meaning that I'm just going to have to talk to you again on Monday. What's the point? This whole thing is going to take 4 minutes. Why make it some drawn out process when we're talking 4 minutes here?
Her: Hold on, sir. I'll put her right on the line.

Then, the deputy Chief of Staff:
Her: Sir, we usually just send these out as emails or fax.
Me: Ok, fine. Send it here, blahblahblah@blahblah.com. Take it easy.
*click*

For those in the know, that's probably the rudest I've ever been on the phone, professionally at least. I've tried to get people fired for less. I know my assistants will read that in absolute shock. This is what the rain does to me.

3 Comments:

  • I think it would have been much more effective if you had said blahblahblah@yadayada.com; just for a bit of the chage up.

    Don't worry, rain does this to most folks, I am sure the staffer understood. And if she didn't well, she knows where to send the pissed off email!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 PM  

  • Of course, you're completely right. I was unbelievably lazy this morning. But not quite so this afternoon, my next post I've been working on has a reference to Cliff Huxtable playing handball.

    By Blogger Jaded Lens, at 2:45 PM  

  • Poor Katow-jo. I've never seen you so down-trodden. Don't worry, soon I'll be home again and I'll take you to foggy London-town because you are my little gentleman, then we can throw burritos out of moving vehicles.

    Can't wait.

    Baxter

    By Blogger SpangledAngel, at 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home