Jaded Lens

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Stupid Post

I was all set to write this whole article today about why men of my generation are confused and still play with video games and lightsaber's after the age of 12. I probably wrote about 5 pages on the subject before I realized that it was a pretty dumb subject and got bored with it. Anyways, here are some highlights:

Yesterday, my company took us all to play paintball out in the woods. I didn't get to play but a lot of the guys who did took it way too seriously, buying specialized paintball equipment and wearing camouflage. I laughed and laughed when the best player of the night turned out to be a 25 year-old girl, who iced guy after guy in her white sweatshirt and running pants. I also got to make a lot of "floating head" camouflage jokes, which are normally only applicable at Walmart during deer hunting season. By the way, these guys were also the same ones who now play with remote control cars during their afternoon break. Ridiculous.

Then basically I wrote a lot about how 80's cartoons and movies like "Red Dawn" were, while not planned, propaganda to prepare us for the next war that never came, presumably with Communism as a whole. Good Vs. Evil = Democracy vs. Communism = Autobots vs. Decepticons, GI Joe vs Cobra, etc. But we never had a war so now we're all confused about our place in society and the computer revolution of the early 90s gave us all the means to buy the toys we never had as kids and never grow up.

So I guess the last paragraph I wrote was the point I was looking for:
I asked my dad once what he thought about all this silliness, why I still felt like a boy trapped in a man's body at times. He said that the change to manhood is never complete until your first child is born, the responsibility changes your life forever. I think that's all that really needs to be said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home