Jaded Lens

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Danville Register Bee | Authorities bust up moonshine operation

(Click the title just above for the link.)

Gotta love my hometown. Axton's right outside of Danville and where my grandpa lived and my mom grew up. Uncle Jesse brewed up 343 gallons, just enough for three trips over the Hazzard Co. line for them Duke boys.

The funniest part about this is growing up listening to my father and my grandfather trading stories about finding stills on their property. My Dad told me once how, when he was a kid, they had to cut down a piece of the woods to make a new field and found the copper pipes from three different stills hidden back there. Of course, those were probably leftovers from the days of Prohibition, back when anybody with a corn crop was up to some sort of alcoholic chemistry. My grandpa once had a friend of his go blind from drinking bad moonshine. It was only temporary but they also used to mix a little moonshine in with their gasoline, just for that "extra kick." These two hill-billies used to show up at his store every now and again with a trunk full of jugs to sell and they'd stink up the whole town. Floating down the Powell River, I've had stills, illegal fields, just about everything pointed out to me. That's just a part of living in the country, I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home