Jaded Lens

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Finally, a NEW Update!

I took a little break so here's a post that's pretty boring. Suffice it to say, it's Thursday and I'm still recovering from last weekend. It was a good weekend though. Friday night, I went to a Katrina benefit concert with my friend (and hopefully bandmate) Richard and his friends at American University. The funniest part was before the music even started, Richard and I were outside on a smoking expedition when we were first accosted by the holier-than-thou hipster scene which seems to follow Laura Burhenn around like the plague. It was pretty great though as it's spurred several inside jokes which are tons of fun. I also made the discovery that all of Cartel's music is the exact same tempo. I tap my foot to the beat when listening to bands and after 3 songs I noticed that my foot tapping had not changed. Even their fast songs were played at that same tempo, only double-timed. Ridiculous. Maybe that's why it makes me want to sleep? I ended the night listening to the White Album and drinking a beer. I've really missed The Beatles.

Saturday was a banner day. While doing laundry, somebody's mom complimented me not once, but twice on my clothes-folding ability. Somewhere, hopefully my mother smiled. On my way out the laundromat door, I received a surprise call from the old area code "434." Patrick and the legendary innocent John Martin were making a surprise trip to DC, in order to see the Redskins season opener. Of course, they were staying with me. What happened once they arrived is still somewhat blurry, but I do remember being at my bar, Bourbon, then trying to extricate them from a house of ill repute for several hours, pulling the front of my pants down just enough to prove to some girl that I'm truly a redhead, doing a shot with my neighbors and jumping on a coffee table, and falling asleep while playing poker. The last time I remember a clock, it read 6AM. One note though, I've never really understood the allure of strip clubs. It's like paying for the milk but never getting to drink it. (And by the way, if this keeps up, I'm going to have to apologize to my mother after every column.)

On the Seventh Day, I rested. I guess the lack of sleep catches up with all us old-timers eventually. Watching the Guins and NYC band Bravo Silva (who are really good but a little too into fashion) at Galaxy Hut late Sunday night, I thought I was going to pass out before I even got to my car.

Looking forward to this weekend, I've really got to get the word out for the DC9 Sunday night show. The Makers, Greenland, and Thomas Lunch and the Drugs, @ DC9, $10, doors at 9. I know it sounds expensive, but The Makers are really worth it. Ever since the illustrious Shannon Jackson introduced me to them a few months ago, I've been dying to see them live. This show was put together by my friend and mentor Nan and it's really going to be a doozy. Here's the poster:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Finally, just so everyone knows, I'm planning my next visit to Danville on the weekend of Oct. 7th since the North Theater's showing "Gimme Shelter" on the big screen. Too bad I won't be able to stick around until Sunday for the midnight showing, but still, I'm excited. However, I won't be sticking around for their showing of "Eden's Curve" as that might be the worst movie I've ever seen. I'd planned to go home next weekend but there's just no money for it, plus I'm finally starting to get the shaggy mane back and there's no reason to get it cut just yet. It feels so good on my neck...

PS. You should check out my friend Richard's band Panda Sanchez. Hopefully he'll start playing out soon, even more hopefully with me on a multitude of instruments as I'm dying to start playing out again. His stuff is really atmospheric yet intricate, reminding me of some of Radiohead's slower songs from Kid A and Amnesiac. I'm personally thinking about starting a proto-punk band, ala The Stooges, called Bourgeois-Jihad.

1 Comments:

  • Bourgeois-Jihad = awesome name. You have to name something that. If you never have a band named that, you must bestow it on your first born.

    By Blogger SpangledAngel, at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home