Jaded Lens

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Beaten Up

Lately, I've been getting beaten up about my past relationships a lot. It just seems that my love life has been a constant source of conversation among people around me, regardless of the fact that I've really been trying to steer away from the topic. I know they mean best and I don't mind when my closest friends, who know who they are (and most of them read this blog from time to time), bring up the fact that they don't like how I'm being treated, that I'm being led-on and used, etc., etc., because it shows they care and I love them for it. But it gets a little depressing sometimes.

Anyways, one of these said relationships recently ended for a really trivial reason but one that bothered me so much that it drove me crazy. Now, this woman was great otherwise. But she committed two deadly sins. First, she once changed my radio station to a New Country station and started singing along to Garth Brooks or Brooks and Dunn or whatever. Then, she used the phrase "Get 'Er Done" during multiple conversations between us and some of my friends as a punchline, no sarcasm, no nothing. "Oh, that guy's just so funny." I remember instantly catching the "eye contact signal of horror" from one of my buddies and returned it earnestly with the "I thought I knew this woman but now am utterly shocked and mortified" eyebrow arch/wide eyed combo. Things fell apart fairly quickly after that.

Hearing this, my female friends said, "See, M. This is your problem. You have these arbitrary rules mostly based on pop culture and other trivial BS and once they've been broken, you never go back. This is why your relationships fail." My guy buddies' instantaneous reply: "Perfectly Reasonable." I mean, come on, "Get 'Er Done"? That phrase should come with naked lady mudflaps and a confederate flag sticker. I've told them that I threw out the rules a long time ago (against my better judgment I might add), but some things just can't be unsaid.

But this is a two way street. For instance, the key to my heart has always been clever nicknames. I not only live to give them but I like receiving them as well. (...) If a little thought is put into it or it's bizarre or even just strange, I love it. Besides, if a woman ever called me "Tiger," I'd be hers until she was done with me.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

4 Comments:

  • so is it 'Tiger' because you sometimes purrr and sometimes growl or is it because you are a solitary animal who does his hunting at night?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 PM  

  • "Git-R-Done" should be illegal and I probably would have done the same thing. And I'm saying this as someone who has met the person in question and adored her. But "Git-R-Done"? No. This aggression will not stand.

    However, there may be a grain of truth in what your female friends say. I don't watch "Friends" much but I remember an episode where Chandler kept breaking up with women for stupid reasons, like "she smells like soup", and everyone got on him for it. But then again, only you can know for sure what you can tolerate; maybe just try to be a little more patient.

    Love ya, Baxter
    Jessica

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:06 PM  

  • Haha. my girls will see your comment and laugh, for several reasons, Baxter. If I could delete it to protect you, I would. oh well!

    By Blogger Jaded Lens, at 3:43 PM  

  • oh, and Anonymous, who I assume is the same person and has been leaving me nice comments all day, the answer would be all 3...

    By Blogger Jaded Lens, at 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home