Jaded Lens

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

To thumb or not to thumb?

Here's a question that spawned endless debate among my friends all weekend. When gigging, flipping the bird, shooting the ultimate gun, giving the old one finger salute, whatever you want to call it, is it proper to stick the thumb out or keep it folded in?

Personally, I prefer to throw out my thumb and flex only the outermost two knuckles of my index and ring finger. I feel that this gives the flattest surface on the back of my hand from which the intended insult may radiate outward. When I curl in all fingers save my favorite, I feel that my hand becomes too twisted and fist-like for the insult to be properly received and translated. Plus, the "extra flex" also requires a twist and tilt of the wrist that really just takes too much time. When I'm speeding around whatever offending Maryland driver gets in my way or posing for a red-light camera shoot, I really only have a matter of seconds to make the offensive party aware of my true feelings. The power of my flat, back-handed delivery is quick but unmistakable. However, I will concede that occasionally my hand is already balled into a fist when stuck doing 25 mph in a 55 mph zone so it is easier just to extend the middle finger rather than get caught up in proper form.

The delivery of the middle finger is almost as unique as the print on its tip. I think it also has to do with the way we point. Watch your friends whenever they point at something. Some extend their index finger with the rest of the hand curled up in a loose fist. Classic. Others use their middle finger to point. Some like to use their whole hand, pointing out the specific information with a tapping finger. A few sad souls points with the devil horns of the metal fist. Personally, I prefer to shoot the gun when giving directions on a map, catching the eye of some lady, recommending my favorite dish at a local restaurant, or pointing out my favorite Bible verses. (...) Anyways, other odd "finger prints" include men's imitation of a machine gun, people's arm movements while running, and smiles.

Here's some more information on Middle Finger Symbology:

Straight Dope on the Middle Finger's Origins
The Legal History of the Middle Finger
A Little Evolutionary History

Sorry Mom!

1 Comments:

  • Way to share "gigging" with the rest of the world... goodness knows I am tired of having to tell every single person I say it to, outside of Danville, what gigging means.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home