Jaded Lens

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Breaker 1-9 for a Radio Check?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My work day has spread out before me like the never ending fields of the Great Plains. Arriving late to work today due to an hour and half of what I like to call "extra sleep," I've got another 3 hours or so before I finally get to leave the office, shouting a little "I'm free!" while skipping across the front door threshold.

On days like today, stuck inside while the most glorious of days passes by outside, I like to think about what life would be like had I chosen another, radically different career. Today, there's a huge green GCI delivery semi-truck parked across the street. What would my life be like as a truck driver?

At the age of 3, my dad read "Big Joe's Trailer Truck" to me every night before I fell asleep. I often imagined myself hauling all sorts of stuff, from GI Joe action figures to fireworks (hey, I was a kid), around the country in my sturdy Mack truck, a big buckle on my belt and a big, well-worn truck stop baseball cap, with the mesh in the back. Around age 9, my cousin Wormie (Yep, Wormie) told my dad the coolest sentence I'd heard yet: "I'm earnin' my bread on the red-eye, hair-pinnin' lumber from Boone to Peach City." Later on, my cousin Randy, Wormie's brother, actually became an indenpendently-contracted truck driver, despite having a degree in civil engineering. I asked him once why he chose to drive a truck for a couple of years instead of jumping into his chosen profession. His reply: "There's just something about the road, Lil' Max."*

Nothing's better than cruising the highways with a good mix CD. Whenever my friends hit the road, I always make sure they're armed with a good mix of songs, both old and new, but always with a flair of '70s rock. I'd bet that I've probably made around 200 mixes since I left Danville for college. This past summer, I drove 8 hours straight from DC to Jonesville, Va. Hitting the mountains at high speed, I leaned out the window, feeling the cool wind in my then-long hair, while "Flirtin' with Disaster" blasted out of my stereo. There's a special joy that comes when you realize you've got the entire road to yourself for as far as the eye can see.

In my imaginary life as a trucker, I know no barbers. I'm the Last American Cowboy and my beard grows long and wiry while my hair creeps down from my "Purolator" baseball cap to drape across my shoulders. My truck would have an American flag in the grill and naked lady mudflaps. I could say things like "Watermelon 500," "Wiggle Wagons," or "Double Nickel" in everyday conversation. I'd get me a hound dog named Buddy, and we'd drive across the country together, always on the lookout for the coppers and wild women named after flowers, stopping to fish in creeks and rivers with my trusty Ronco Pocket Fisherman. I'd be a Truck Stop Casanova with the CB handle "Rolfe Diamond." I'd play my Dirty Old Man Card 50 years too early. Buddy and I'd listen to nothing but '70s Arena Rock and Old Country, like Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings or this guy:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There's something about the road, indeed.

For more information on becoming a trucker, check out:

American Trucker
"Diary of a Trucker" from the Kansas City Star
Truck Drivin' School Locator
The locator's great b/c they actually sell mesh hats on the same page. Awesome.

*I'm referred to in my family as Lil' Max, since I was named after my dad and am the youngest member of my generation, as was my dad before me.

4 Comments:

  • I can't believe this one hasn't gotten any comments. This is my favorite one I've written so far, I think.

    By Blogger Jaded Lens, at 10:19 AM  

  • I was about to say the same thing. I love this one. And Randy is absolutely right - there is just something about the road, something about pulling into a dusty truckstop in Bolivar, TN, when it's hot as the devil's armpit, and you're sweaty and tired and sore and hungry and down to your last $100 to last the next 8 months, but you walk inside, assaulted by the smell of old bacon grease from the horseshoe lunch counter, and come face to face with the sweetest Shirley Hemphill look-alike standing under one of those string-art pictures that were popular in the 70's, you know, the ones with the strings wrapped around nails? And she gives you your change and calls you "Sweet Baby" and you turn back out the door, knowing that when you turn the key in your steed you can roll down the windows and shout the lyrics to "The Gambler", because no one else is on that sunny, sunflowered dusty road except maybe a coon dog or two. You adjust your mesh trucker hat so it doesn't blow off in the breeze (mine is blue and says "Pittman Hauling", a gift from a sweet trucker in Arkansas), and continue down that road, not knowing what you'll find next except that it will be wonderful...

    Do it, Max. If only because one time you told me you and I could set the world on fire and I believed you.

    By Blogger SpangledAngel, at 6:55 PM  

  • Once upon a time, long long ago, I was at coast to coast driver. I am now an electrical engineer, but I will always be that kind of "wanderer" at heart. (hey, ain't Atlanta just a day trip from here?)
    I got here by a long detour. Someone visited my blog by searching on "Joneville, VA". While backtracking that search, I came upon this.
    I can relate. A very good post.

    By Blogger Charlie Bishop, at 9:28 PM  

  • Dot2dotz is a truck booking App, seamlessly connecting shippers with fleet owners and truck drivers. We provide trucks for hire for any individual or company throughout Delhi NCR with our app. At one end we have shippers looking for an easy solution to ship goods and at other ends, we have fleet owners looking for more trips and hassle-free booking management solutions.

    By Anonymous Sandeep Kumar, at 7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home