Jaded Lens

Monday, August 15, 2005

Action-packed

This past weekend was pretty action-packed. Friday night, I had a small part in booking the band Pawns from Brooklyn at Velvet Lounge. They did a great job and brought out a huge crowd. Even I was surprised! Apparently, there was a little trouble between the drummer and the door guy after I left, but I think we've all agreed just to blame it on the (considerable) heat.

Saturday night got out of control, which started out with a visit from my new buddy, the cat I wrote about in last week's "Weekend Thoughts." I've named him Chalmers and my neighbors and I have decided that if we all see him one more time, I'm going to adopt him, since he seems attached to me for some weird reason. Anyways, I like having him around, even though I've always been a dog person. Here's some pictures:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Chalmers owns the Saturday night porch.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"Wha'chu want, sucka?"

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Action Kitty

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

"Maaaan, you lazy, Chalmers."

Other happenings from Saturday night:

I went over to Galaxy Hut to catch Telograph's big show with The Hint. They were both great. I hadn't seen that kind of energy from Telograph in a long time. It helped that the place was packed, even though I'd put the temperature, indoors with the AC on, at about 90 degrees. My girls, Ember and Sue Ann, came out and we had a great time, drinking too much, acting crazy, telling stupid jokes, etc. It was just like old times. The estranged stalker even showed up, meaning that everyone was all winks and arched eyebrows. Luckily, she got drunk and got down with some random dude, so the rest of were "off the hook." I can't stress enough how much every member of the Hint looks like they should be best friends with Marc Bolan from T.Rex, even their van is a '73. I also managed to catch the end of Seed Is' first set at Whitlow's on Wilson. Their brand of hiphop, heavily influenced by gospel, always makes me smile. Hopefully they'll start playing more shows up here.

Just one note to guys. When you're acting like a drunken jackass at a bar, don't try to manhandle my friends.* You step out of line and I'm going to step in. However, it was nice to be called a hero even if it was because some drunk guy, whose friends probably ditched in a gutter after he puked all over himself, decided to get a little touchy feely.

Sunday was lazy. Despite a pretty wicked hangover, I was up early to teach and run errands in Georgetown. I'm going to take my camera next time as the N Street rowhouses have some of the most interesting architecture I've ever seen. After the lessons, I hung out with my old buddy John and his new old lady, Perry. Like I said, it was lazy. We sat around and ate and laughed and told stupid stories about John yelling things out of car windows until we were all about to pass out from exhaustion. Sure, I got absolutely nothing done, but it was a lazy day, much like the lazy cat above, and much like the end of this blog entry.


* Don't refer to your fists by name when threatening somebody, even if it is in your own head. It's hard for you to keep a straight face and is no time to be making silly Anchorman jokes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home