Jaded Lens

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Passing moments

Do you ever have really quick moments where you return to suddenly vivid memories that follow a specific theme at the most mundane times?

For instance, Tuesday night, I stood on my porch smoking my 8:30PM cigarette when all of a sudden I was hit by a barrage of my most guilt-induced embarrassing moments of all time. I have no reason why, but it hit hard and quieted me down for the rest of the night, hanging overhead like a dark cloud on a beach.

Then, last night, I headed outside for the same smoke when I was instantly struck by a barrage of my greatest moments in public mockery. Needless to say, this put me in another weird mood, but this one more of a "Laughing Mr. Lens" which others found slightly perturbing. I will share one memory from this sequence however:

When the first of the new Star Wars movies came out, I was still living in Danville. My friends and I went to see it at the midnight showing simply because it was an excuse for us to stay out really late. Just before the movie started, this movie employee felt the need to "warm up the crowd." Standing in front of everybody, he gleefully shouted, "I just want everybody to realize that this movie is completely digital. It's the first film with no film!!! Woohoo!" The crowd fell to a hushed silence and continued to stare at this crazy man like a dead animal in a sack. Enter me. Ringing out from the 10th row, I clearly said, "Man, I feel embarrassed FOR you." Instant laughter from a sold-out theater for no less than 2 minutes.

So yeah, that's it. One of my greatest moments in public mockery. I know, I know. I'm terrible. Yes, I know. Here's that guy, putting his enthusiasm and nerdery out for public display, and here's me, Mr. Snide. Hopefully Mr. Solo there learned his lesson.

2 Comments:

  • You did that to Ron?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:22 PM  

  • Oh wait - wrong theatre. I was thinking the re-release of the originals.

    Did I just have an embarrassing moment?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home