Jaded Lens

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Weekend of Rock

This weekend, I decided to stick around DC and take my alter-ego, Rolfe Diamond, out for a spin. He likes aviator sunglasses so once I'd found the perfect pair, I hit the town with a few musicians and started hunting for a good show. Starting at Velvet Lounge, they were taking forever to get started and we really wanted to see Greenland, a local act that's been playing a lot of shows lately. Since they were taking forever and Greenland was second, we ran across the street to my favorite venue, DC9 (although I am biased now), and caught the first band, The Pawns, who'd just moved up to Williamsburg, Brooklyn (no comment.) They were good, but at first I was really non-plussed b/c every song sounded like they'd just taken the bridge from a popular indie rock song and straightened it out in a full song. One song in particular was just the bridge from "Spiders" by Wilco, which is really awesome, but then they just made it the verse and wrote a new chorus/bridge. It's something that's easy to do so I didn't judge them too badly for it. (*correction* I was just informed that this is part of their schtick, which explains a lot.) Even so, they made up for it with their rock n roll moves and the amount of energy they put into their set. I always enjoy a good band who's willing to have some fun! They also live right down the street from El Pollo Loco in Brooklyn, which serves one of my favorite chicken dishes. I spoke with them briefly after the show and they were all good dudes.

So after that set, it was back to Velvet Lounge for Greenland's set. However, when we got there some crappy, Jason Mraz-bought-an-electric-guitar-to-sing-for-the-ladies band from NoVA was playing. The booker had changed the bill lineup the night of the gig and we'd missed our band! Ridiculous but really, what else can you expect from Velvet Lounge these days? That place is going downhill fast. First, some out of towners steal all of the mics b/c the club refused to pay them, and secondly, all they'll book are these crappy NoVA bands with a Greek draw. What do you expect? There's other clubs out there, people, and might I suggest Warehouse Next Door? I went there last week and saw three of the most original sets I've seen in a long time, on a Monday to boot!

Met some more friends outside and back to DC9 we went. Hello Tokyo was onstage and they were great. Their lead singer was really awesome and, man, can she bite a finger. Unfortunately, they'd also recently left DC for Williamsburg, Brooklyn (again, no comment.) The Bonapartes were up next and I grabbed a booth seat b/c I really wanted to listen to this band without overhearing "Tiffany" talking to her booty call on her cell during the entire set. The Bonapartes were alright. I'd been expecting so much more from them due to the sheer amount of hype they're getting around town from both club booker and press. They sound like Interpol. That's about all I have to say. It just didn't come off as terribly original. I enjoyed it, they were good at what they did, but I was just holding out hope for something original that obviously wasn't in the works. This is a big problem with DC music in general, and I really wish somebody could get their own thing started. A few are trying, namely The Guins (*disclaimer) and Thomas Lunch and the Drugs (a fairly new band I just heard yesterday that needs to play some live shows as I'm interested to seeing them live.)

Finally (finally!), The Hint took the stage. I'm now an enthusiastic fan. For the first time in forever, I was sincerely sad when a band announced their final song. Jesus. They were a monster. First off, they're a little Strokes-y without being shallow. They dress like Marc Bolan from T.Rex. Their songs are well-crafted and they pull off their live show without coming across as cheesy. I can't say enough good things. It was one of those performances where you find yourself having so much fun that you find it impossible to remember all the little details b/c you were so caught up in the moment. Telograph has a show with them at Galaxy Hut in August and I just can't wait!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
http://www.thehint.com

We ended the night eating ribs these guys were grilling up on the corner of Vermont and U Street. Apparently they're opening a soul food joint for the late night set and were trying to spark some interest. They got my attention; $5 of their ribs fed me for 2 days! Amazing. I hope they deliver...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home